Skip to content
- Digital+ Societies: Critical Observations and Conceptual Interventions, The 1st Bandung International Conference on Social Science (BICOSS): Digital Society and the Global South: A Critique of Knowledge Production and Future Research Trajectories, Centre for Asian Social Science Research (CASSR), Faculty of Social and Political Science, Universitas Islam Negeri (UIN) Bandung, Indonesia, 9 August 2023.
- Being diaspora, Forum Diaspora Jabar, 8 June 2023.
- Social media and climate movements, Noons for Now, Climate Commons, Ottawa, 4 May 2023.
- Algorithms & Human Relations, Vocational Program: Media Literacy, FIKOM, University of Indonesia, Jakarta, 28 March 2023.
- The Mutual Shaping of Digital Media & Society, Vocational Program: Media Literacy, FIKOM, University of Indonesia, Jakarta, 23 March 2023.
- Algorithmic politics, climate/Covid-19 disinformation, & right-wing extremism, Climate Disinformation Workshop, Re.Climate Center, Carleton University, 12 Jan 2023.
- Closing keynote: (Big) Data and Our Social Worlds, I-4 Annual Meeting 2023, 13 Jan 2023.
- “Algorithms, Affect, Collectivism”, Department of Communication and Information, FIKOM, University of Padjajaran, Bandung, 30 November 2021.
- “A Critical, Historical, & Analytical Reflection from the Recent Past on ‘Roots, Routes, and Routers of Communications & Media of Social Movements'”, Department of Communication and Information, FIKOM, University of Padjajaran, Bandung, 23 November 2021.
- “Pengabdi Emoticon 2.0: Kehidupan Algoritmis dan Masa Depan ‘Kita'”, FISIP Universitas Lampung, 5 October 2022.
- “Digital Societies”, Filosofi dan Visi Pembangunan Kebudayaan 2045, Direktur Agama, Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan, Bappenas, 15 September 2022.
- “Social Media in Indonesia: Users, Usages, and Beyond”, Faculty of Economics and Business Education, Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia, Bandung, 1 September 2022.
- “Mobilizing Civil Society in 2024 and Beyond”, Development Dialogue Asia (DDA), Jakarta, 25 Agustus 2022.
- “No Way Home: Algorithmic Life and Our Future”. Sampoerna University, Jakarta, 23 August 2022.
- “Being a Leader in International Stage”, Lead The Fest 2022, 12 August 2022.
- Keynote. “Alt_Spaces: Algorithms, Data, and the Future of ‘Us'”. Arte-Polis, Institute of Technology Bandung, 11 August 2022.
- “G10 Talk: Perempuan Indonesia di Tatanan Global”, Ikatan Alumni ITB North-America, 30 July 2022.
- “Digital media and social movement,” Development Dialogue Asia (DDA), 28 July 2022.
- Keynote. “Algorithms of Rage to the Rhythms of Change: Notes on a Life/Research Journey”, Visions of Change Conference, Communication and Media Studies, University of Calgary, 11 May 2022.
- “Social media, algorithmic brokerage, and conspiratorial discursive activism”, a Winter 2022 Webinar Series Part I – Transnational Right-Wing Extremism and Digital Disinformation: Digital Disinformation and Right-Wing Extremism, co-organized by the Centre on Hate, Bias and Extremism at Ontario Tech University, the Intersectionality Research Hub at Concordia University, and the Institute of Islamic Studies at the University of Toronto supported by the Algorithmic Media Observatory at Concordia University and The Infoscape Lab at Ryerson University, the Disinformation Project at Simon Fraser University, and Canadian Heritage’s Digital Citizen Contribution Program, 24 Feb 2022.
- “Media, Democracy and Social Activism”, Lab-School of Democracy, Public Virtue Research Institute, 12 Jan 2022.
- “Contesting Power (II): Social Media Algorithms and Politics”. Department of Communication and Information, FIKOM, University of Padjajaran, Bandung, 30 November 2021.
- “Socio-political collectivism in the algorithmic age.” Arkipel Jakarta International Documentary and Experimental Film Festival, 27 November 2021.
- “Contesting Power (I): Control/Resistance and Digital Media”. Department of Communication and Information, FIKOM, University of Padjajaran, Bandung, 23 November 2021.
- Pidato Kebudayaan. “Ritme & Algoritme Kebudayaan” (Rhythm & Algorithm of “Us”). Dewan Kesenian Jakarta, 10 November 2021. https://youtu.be/mh9nydACB1U
- “Social media, politics, and schismatic algorithms in Indonesia”. Indonesian Social Science Seminar Series (IS4), 28 October.
“In Search of Social-Ecological Transformation in Indonesia’s Urbanizing Landscapes” (À la recherche d’une transformation socioécologique dans les paysages urbanisés de l’Indonésie). CCSEAS, 24 October.
Plenary. ““Kebersamaan dan Solidaritas Global Melawan Pandemi”. Forum 2045. 27 September.
- Plenary. “Jiwa Indonesia Diaspora”. Serial Webinar #5 Musyawarah Indonesia. 26 August.
- “Sociological Research in a Fast-Changing Socio-Digital Landscape”. The 2nd International Summer Course Program 2021: Socio-Cultural and Gender Aspect in Communication of an Agricultural Innovation in Tropical Ecosystem. IPB University, 11 August.
- #Milktea of milquetoast? Digital Politics in the Asia Pacific Seminar Series. ANU Coral Bell School of Asia Pacific Affairs, 4 August.
- Plenary. “The Young and The Restless: Youth Activism in the Age of Social Media.” 2021 Inter-Asia Cultural Studies, 28-30 July.
- Keynote. “Critical and Sociotechnical Research of Digital Media and Society — An Interdisciplinary Approach”, Current Research Trends in Social Studies of Technology, The 1 st Bandung International Conference on Social Science (BICOSS): Contemporary Issues and Trends in Social Science in the Era of the Internet of Things, Centre for Asian Social Science Research (CASSR), Faculty of Social and Political Science, Universitas Islam Negeri (UIN) Bandung, Indonesia, 9 July.
- Researching Digital Media & Politics in Indonesia, in Social Media Activism, Digital Resilience and Resistance to Democratic Regression, International Webinar World Class University, Universitas Diponegoro, 26 April 2021.
- Plenary. Dialog Splitter: Nationalism, Social Media, and Schismatic Algorithm in Southeast Asia, in Cybernationalism and the World: Populism, Identity, and Symbolic Politics in the Digital Age, Center on Digital Culture & Society, University of Pennsylvania, 23 April 2021.
- Algorithmic Enclaves, in Weaponized Media: politics of affect & propaganda, 13 April 2021. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-X-723S67M.
- Media on the Brink in Asia, Centre for Asia-Pacific Initiatives, University of Victoria, 4 March 2021.
- Keynote. The Rise of Extremes: Social Media Algorithms and Politics, AICCON 2021: Sustainable Communication in Mediated and Social Network Society, Jakarta, 8 February 2021.
- Managing Work-Life Balance and Promoting Healthy Work Environment in Academia (Kultur Akademik Sehat Bagi Akademisi), I&P Indonesia, 23 January 2021.
- Ctrl-Alt-Del: (Not) A Secret to Life, WIBJ Business & Leadership Talk, 22 January 2021.
Rhythms and Algorithms, VPL Series, Institute of Technology Sepuluh November, Surabaya, 21 November 2020.
Beragama di Dunia Maya: Media Sosial dan Pandangan Keagamaan di Indonesia, Pusat Pengkajian Islam dan Masyarakat (PPIM) UIN Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta, 16 November 2020.
- Data, Algorithms, and Politics in Everyday Life, Reducates: Dialog Inspiratif, 8 November 2020.
Social Media and Political Communications: A critical insight, 4th International Conference on Contemporary Political Affairs 2020, 22 October 2020.
- Researching Digital Media in the Critical Spaces, VPL Series, Institute of Technology Sepuluh November, Surabaya, 2 October 2020.
- Publishing academic journals, LPPM University of Diponegoro, Semarang, 23 September 2020.
- Networked of Spaces of Hope and Despair: Social Media and Grassroots Politics in Southeast Asia, “Digital Technologies and Democracy in Southeast Asia”, ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, Singapore, 21 September 2020.
- Researching Social Phenomenon/Media (not only) during the Pandemic, Researchers, Academics, and Disinformation (Scientists’ Responses to Pandemic), Akademi Ilmuwan Muda Indonesia & Society of Indonesian Science Journalists, Jakarta, 14 August 2020.
Social Media, Digital Grassroots, and Populist Politics — insights from Southeast Asia, Communication Studies and Multimedia + Political Science Department, McMaster University, Hamilton-ON, Canada, 23 January 2020.
Algorhythmanalysis, Communication, and Collective Actions, SPRU Energy and Climate Seminar, Science Policy Research Unit, University of Sussex, Falmer-UK, 26 November 2019.
- Researching Digital Media, Post-graduate Masterclass. Saw Swee Hock Southeast Asia Centre, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, 25 November 2019.
- Rhythms and Algorithms of “Us”, MA Masterclass, School of Media, Film and Music, University of Sussex, Falmer-UK, 20 November 2019.
- Algorithmic Enclaves: Social Media and Politics in Southeast Asia, Southeast Asia Discussion Series, Saw Swee Hock Southeast Asia Centre, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, 7 November 2019.
- Media, Nationalism, & Religion: Digital Grassroots and Elections in Southeast Asia, Southeast Asia Forum 2019, Saw Swee Hock Southeast Asia Centre, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, 29 October 2019.
- Legally Brown: Living/Researching Media-Politics in the Critical Spaces, Public lecture, the Institute of Asian and African Studies, Humboldt University, Berlin, 26 September 2019.
Decolonizing Data, Undoing the South. Plenary panel. Data Power 2019. Bremen, 12-13 September 2019.
Networked Spaces of Hope: Social Media and Grassroots Politics in Southeast Asia, EuroSeas, Berlin 9-12 September 2019.
Mediating and Mediatizing Political and Religious Authorities (with Saskia Schafer), EuroSeas, Berlin, 9-12 September 2019.
Talk. “Algorithmic Enclaves: Affective politics, neoliberal media, and the missing middle”. Affect, Propaganda, Politics Symposium, Toronto, 7-9 June 2019.
- Co-Evolution of Media/Communication and Human Organization, International Sustainability Transitions Conference, Carleton University, Ottawa, 24 June 2019.
- Christchurch Call to Action, Open Government Partnership Summit, Ottawa, ON, 30 May 2019.
- Keynote. “Algorithm, Rhythm, and Arrhythmia”. Second Decadal Rightful Place of Science, Consortium for Science, Policy, and Outcomes, Arizona State University, Tempe-AZ, 9-10 May 2019.
Panelist. Critiquing the Platform: Power, Principles, and Transformative Possibilities, McMaster University, Hamilton-ON, 3 May 2019.
- Talk. “Communication & Media of Social Movements”. Digital Governance Speaker Series, Ottawa, 16 April 2019.
Talk. “TBD”. Countering Radicalization to Violence – 2019 Event Series, Ottawa, 23-27 March 2019.
- Closing plenary talk. “Insidious Algorhythms” Insidious, 14th Annual Carleton Communication Graduate Caucus Conference, Carleton University, Ottawa, 21-22 March 2019.
- Primer presentation & panelist. Artificial intelligence, Democracy and Your Election, Initiative for Parliamentary and Diplomatic Engagement, Ottawa, 25 February 2019.
- Public lecture. Roots, Routes, Routers: Communication and Media of Social Movements, Inaugural CADS Digital Diverse Worlds Seminar, University of Leiden, Leiden—The Netherlands, 6 December 2018.
- Plenary panel. Big data from the South: Decolonization, Resistance & Creativity. Plenary panel. DATACTIVE workshop: Big data from the South, towards a research agenda, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Amsterdam—The Netherlands, 4 December 2018.
- Keynote/plenary talk. Rhythms & Algorithms: Collective Action in the Social Media Age. International Society for Media, Religion and Culture (ISMRC) Conference, Boulder CO, US, 8-11 August 2018.
- Public lecture. Communication Science & Rural Sociology Department, Bogor Agricultural University, 18 May 2018.
- Plenary talk. #WeHaveNeverBeenReformed: 20 Years of Digital Media and Activism in the Post Reformasi Indonesia. Reformasi at 20: Indonesia, Then and Now, Asia Research Institute – National University of Singapore, 14 May 2018.
- Keynote talk. Sociological Research in a Fast Changing Socio-Digital Landscape. APSSI Conference, Lombok, Indonesia, 9 May 2018.
- Keynote talk. Social Media and Contemporary Politic(ian)s in the Global South: A Framework. Politicians and Social Media in the Global South. Ann Arbor MI, US, 14 April 2018.
- Panelist. Engaging with Media and Managing Your Messaging in a Post-Truth World. 2nd Annual Government Relations and Public Affairs Practitioners Forum. Ottawa, March 20-21, 2018.
- Closing plenary speaker. “Untitled”. Communications Graduate Caucus – Conference 2018, “POST-?”, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, March 12 and 13, 2018 [postponed].
- Public keynote. “Roots, routes, routers: Digital media & social movements”. Purdue University, West Lafayette IN, USA, 6-7 March 2018.
- Alternative. CUAG Afternoon Intersections: Re-thinking “alternative” histories, Carleton University Art Gallery, Ottawa ON, Canada, 7 November 2017.
- Cyber-urban spaces, social media, and contemporary activism in Southeast Asia. 2017 Canadian Council for Southeast Asian Studies Conference, Toronto ON, Canada, 27 – 28 October 2017.
- Plenary talk: Communication Emerging from A Changing World Full of Uncertainties-Social Movements, a plenary session at the International Association for Media and Communication Research Annual Meeting, Cartagena, Colombia, 15-20 July 2017.
- Tickling Giants Doc & Talk (One World Arts), ByTowne Cinema, Ottawa, ON, Canada, 7 June 2017.
- Technological Utopianism and Social Movements, a roundtable at the Canadian Communication Association (CCA) Annual Meeting, Ryerson University, Toronto ON, Canada, 30 May-2 June 2017.
- Communicative Practices and The Occupation of Urban Spaces in Contemporary Social Movements, I Congreso International EvalComDev, Jerez (Cadiz), Spain, 9-11 May 2017.
- Plenary lecture: Tweets Emerge, Streets Diverge: Digital Media & Activism in Southeast Asia, Forum for Asian Studies, Stockholm, Sweden, 3 May 2017.
- #WhySpaceMatters: Spatial Analysis of Communicative Practices and the Occupation of Urban Space in Contemporary Activism, Digital Media and the Spatial Transformation of Public Contention, European Consortium for Political Research Joint Sessions of Workshops, Nottingham, United Kingdom, 26-29 April 2017.
- Plenary talk: Cyber-Urban Space: Digital Media and Protest Movements in Malaysia and Indonesia, Digital Asia: Visions, Transformations, and Engagements, SYMPOSIUM, 350-ÅRSJUBILEUM, Lund University, Lund, Sweden, 26 April 2017.
- Populist Persuasion, Local Leadership, and Social Media in Indonesia, Annual Meeting of Association of Asian Studies, Toronto ON, Canada, 17-20 March 2017.
- Plenary talk: #Scholartivism: Mapping the In/Visible Landscape of Cyber-Urban Activism, Mapping for Social Justice: Approaches with New Media and the Digital Humanities, Yale University, New Haven CT, United States, 3 March 2017.
- Public lecture: Feet on the Ground, Tweets All Around: Social Media & Contemporary Popular Protests – from Cairo to Kuala Lumpur, Digital Ethnography Workshop Series, Global Emergent Media Lab, Concordia University, Montreal QC, Canada, 7 February 2017.
- Performance: “Rules Don’t Apply”, Critical Karaoke: Seminar & Graduate Workshop, Carleton University, Ottawa ON, Canada, 19 January 2017.
- From Spring to Winter: Social Media and the Western Discourse of the Post Arab Uprisings, 2016 Union for Democratic Communications (UDC) Conference, Detroit, MI, United States, 29 September–1 October 2016.
- Tweeting and Gathering: Everyday Spaces of Resistance for the Indonesian Migrant Domestic Workers in Hong Kong, American Sociology Association, Seattle WA, United States, 19–23 August 2016.
- Floating on Air/on a Cloud: Networked Media and Global Movements for Social Change, The 35th National Campus and Community Radio Conference NCRC#35, University of Ottawa, Ottawa ON, Canada, 9 June 2016.
- Freedom to Hate: Islam, Social Media and Sectarian Narratives in Indonesia, Social Media and Islamic Practices in Southeast Asia, Vienna, Austria, 14–15 April 2016.
- Dis/Connect: The Co–Evolution of Socio–Cultural and Material Infrastructure of the Internet in Indonesia, Infrastructure, University of Toronto, Toronto ON, Canada, 18–20 March 2016.
- Data, Algorithm and Social Worlds, Data Science Distinguished Speaker Series, Institute for Data Science, Carleton University, Ottawa ON, Canada, 11 March 2016 (with T. Lauriault & S. Robinson).
- Justice or Just Us: Smart–Creative Cities, Inequalities and Urban (In)Activism, Reclaiming the City, Asia Research Institute National, University of Singapore, Singapore, 23 February 2016.
- Media and Space–Time of Contemporary Social Movements: A Conversation with Merlyna Lim, Graduate School of Design, Harvard University, Boston MA, United States, 28 January 2016.