- High Heels & Hot Wheels: Social Media and Women Activism in the Arab World, SPAGS Inaugural Conference
: Women, Media, and Politics: A Comparativ e Perspectiv e, Tempe AZ, 10-12 April 2014.
- Tweet to the Street: Social Media and the Chinese Youth in Bersih movement, Asian Studies Association Annual Conference, Philadelphia, 28-31 March 2014.
- Keynote, Conceptualizing Cyber-Urban Connections in Asia and the Middle East Conference, Asia Research Institute National University of Singapore, Singapore, 22-24 January 2014.
- Holy Bandwidth: Race/Ethnicity, Religion, and Local Politics in the Social Media Age, Religion in the Digital Age, New York University, New York, 28 September 2013
- On/Offline Activism: The Making of Contemporary Social Movements in Digital and Urban Spaces, CITP Seminar, Princeton University, Sherrerd Hall, Princeton, 19 September 2013 [video]
- Bricks and Bytes: Social Media and Political Activism, Must See Monday, Walter Cronkite School, Phoenix, 8 April 2013 [coverage]
- In YouTube We Trust: The Politics and Culture of Amateur Videos in the 2012 Jakarta Gubernatorial Election, AAS Conference, San Diego, 21-24 March 2013 (cancelled, physical ailment).
- Plenary speaker, Upwardly Mobile, The Economist Conference, Indonesia Summit, 28 February 2013
- Mobile Media, Viral Politics, and Participatory Culture, Knight Foundation Conference, Cronkite Theatre, Phoenix, 18 January 2013
- Bersih Movement: Social Media and Digital Citizenship in Malaysia, The State in Asia: Power, Citizenship, and the Rule of Law, Leiden, the Netherlands, 12-14 December 2012
- Keynote: The Cloud and the Ground: Political Activism in the Digital Media Age, International Conference on Communication, University of Indonesia, Depok, Indonesia, 6-7 December 2012
- Sweeping the Unclean: Contesting Power in Cyberspace and Cityscapes of Malaysia, Global Insurgencies Workshop, ARI NUS, Singapore, 3-4 December 2012
- Lingering over Lingerie: Engendering ‘Bodies’ through Social Media Networks, NWSA Conference, Oakland, CA, 10 November 2012
- Keynote: Politics 2.0: Mobilizing Race and Identity in the Age of Social Media, Ray Warren Multicultural Symposium, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR, 7 November 2012.
- The Politics and Culture of Networked Urban Spaces, Future Cities: Technology, Society, and Agencies of Change, Academia Engelberg, Switzerland, 12-14 September 2012 http://www.academia-engelberg.ch/conference_2012.php5 (cancelled, visa problem)
- Twitter, Booker, Tuber, and Voter: Social Media and the 2012 Jakarta Gubernatorial Election, Leiden, the Netherlands, 9 August 2012
- Social Media and Political Activism in Southeast Asia, Nijmegen, the Netherlands, 22 June 2012
- New Tools for Science Policy, CSPO, Washington DC, 27 March 2012.
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference, Boston, 21-25 March 2012.
- Asian Studies Association Conference, Toronto, 15-19 March 2012.
- Keynote: Social Media Activism: Lessons from the Arab Spring, Democracy in a Changing World , Frank Church Symposium on International Affairs, Pocatello – Idaho, 29 Feb – 2 March 2012.
- Panel: Can we copy n’ paste a movement?, a public panel on Making Sense the Occupy Wall Street Movements, ASU, Tempe, 30 November 2011.
- @crossroads: Democratization and Corporatization of Media in Indonesia, Public Seminar, Ford Foundation, Jakarta, 13 October 2011.
- Revolution 2.0: Internet and Social Movements, Akatiga, Bandung, 11 October 2011.
- Social Media and Egypt Revolt, Public Lecture, RMIT University, Melbourne, 3 October 2011.
- Keynote: In Curhat We Unite: Politics and Culture of New Media in Indonesia, Indonesia Update Conference 2011, Australia National University, Canberra, 30 September – 1 October 2011.
- Seeing Spatially: People, Networks, & Movements in New Media and Urban Spaces, Asia’s Civil Spheres: New Media, Urban Public Space, Social Movements, ARI – NUS, Singapore, 29-30 September 2011.
- New Media, Public Spheres and Participatory Culture, Public Lecture, University of Satya Wacana, Salatiga, 23 September 2011.
- Keynote: Participatory Culture and Political Engagement in Social Media: Lessons from the Arab Spring, International Conference on Social Media Culture, University of Atmajaya, Yogyakarta, 22 September 2011.
- Social Media, Youth, and Mass Movements, Public Seminar, University of Gajah Mada, Yogyakarta, 21 September 2011.
- Successes and Failures of Social Media Activism in Indonesia, The Jasmine Revolution and the ‘Bamboo’ firewall: The impact of the Internet and new social media on political change in Southeast Asia, Center for Asian Democracy, University of Louisville, KY, 24-25 July 2011.
- Friending Revolution: Social Media and People’s Movements in Egypt and Beyond, How to Ignite, or Quash, a Revolution in 140 Characters or Less, New America Foundation, Washington DC, 13 July 2011.
- Pharaohs and Facebook: Social Media, Political Activism and Mass Movements in Egypt and Beyond, Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Relief and Information Technology Workshop, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, 25-26 March 2011.
- Panel: From Egypt to Wisconsin – Lessons in Organizing from Recent Popular Uprisings, National Lawyers Guild* Southwest Regional Conference, College of Law University of Arizona, Tucson, 16 April 2011.
- Band and Bandwidth: Social Media and the Contest of Power in Indonesia, joint conference of Association of Asian Studies & International Convention of Asian Scholars, Honolulu, 31 March–3 April 2011.
- Social Media, Cyberactivism, and Revolution in the Middle East – Why Are We Surprised?, University of Hawaii, Manoa, Honolulu, 30 March 2011.
- Revolution 2.0? Social Media and Political Change in Egypt and Beyond, Arizona State University, 29 March 2011.
- Flipping Coins: Contesting Power through Cyberactivism, International Studies Association Conference, Montreal, 16-18 March 2011.
- FaceBook Nation: The Politics and Culture of Social Media in Indonesia, Usindo Speaker Series, Washington DC, 7 March 2011.
- Kick Andy: Berjaya di Negeri Orang, broadcast in January 2011 (recorded in December 2010) see the interviews below:
- The Internet for Development: Bridging the Divide or Dividing the Bridge?, Our Common Future Conference, Essen/Hannover, 2-6 November 2010.
- Keynote: Space/Politics: Revolution No. 9, International Civic Space Conference, University of British Columbia and University of Indonesia, Depok, 3-5 August 2010.
- Synergizing Middle Class and Grass-root Media, Public Media Festival, Yogyakarta, 23 July 2010, main speaker.
- Collapsing & Converging: Bridging Participatory Culture & Civic Engagement in Indonesia, Freedom of Expression Workshop of the Ford Foundation, The South by Southwest (SXSW) 2010, Austin TX, 12-14 March 2010, main speaker.
- ‘Pop ‘n Politics: Web 2.0 and Participatory Culture in Indonesia’ at Digital Media and Learning Conference, San Diego, 18-20 February 2010.