As of today, approximately 12 million Syrians have been displaced by the conflict. More than half of these are under the age of 18.
It’s too late to help Alan Kurdi (initially reported as Aylan Kurdi), but together we can prevent the same fate from happening to other children like him. One of some ways to do it is by supporting these charities below.
I try my best to summarize what these charities are doing — they differ in their focuses, priorities, scopes and geographic reach — and provide direct links to their donation pages to help you in your consideration.
Thank you ,
: : :
- Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders: Operates ‘search and rescue’ in the Mediterranean Sea to save people from deaths at sea.
- International Rescue Committee (click here US & Canada) and here for international) : Focuses on emergency aids -medical care, clean water, education, women’s protection services and other vital aid – in Greece, where thousands of displaced Syrians are arriving each day.
- Mercy Corps: Provides life saving aids: clean water, sanitation services, temporary shelter and food.
- Save the Children: Provides nutritious food for Syrian kids and supports education in Syrian refugee camps.
- CARE: Provides food and essential household items to displaced Syrians in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Yemen and inside Syria.
- The UN Refugee Agency (click here for US, here for Canada, and here for other countries): Provides basic and necessary humanitarian aid for displaced Syrians and assists the most vulnerable ones with cash for medicine and food, stoves and fuel for heating, insulation for tents, thermal blankets and winter clothing.
- Unicef: Delivers vaccines (including immunization for children), clothes, food, and access to safe drinking water as well as provides education for children in Syria and Iraq, Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt and other countries.
- Muslim Aid: Provides temporary shelters, blankets & sanitary items, and medical care to displaced Syrians in neighbouring countries, particularly Lebanon.
- Islamic Relief USA: Provides food, hygiene items, light blankets and winter kits, and medical treatments and supplies in Syria, Jordan and Lebanon.
- World Food Programme: Focuses on providing food for millions of displaced Syrians all over the world.
- Aylan Kurdi & Syria’s Child Victims of War: Provides life saving, medical & general aid to the most vulnerable people inside Syria.
- Ireland Calais Refugee Solidarity: Provides basic supplies – food, clean water, hygiene items, tents, clothes, blankets, etc – for diplaced Syrians who are stranded in Calais.
- Refugee Crisis on Greek Islands: Provides supplies — tents, clothing, food, diapers, sanitary equipment and anything else immediately needed by the refugees on the ground — for about 10,000 displaced Syrians in Lesvos.
- Help for Kos Refugees: Provides basic essential, especially water, food, nappies, baby milk and sanitary items for displaced Syrians in Kos (there’re thousands of them).
- Education for Urban Refugees (Small Project Istanbul): Provides access to supplemental education for displaced Syrian children and families in Turkey.