Home » being a scholar

I want …

2 April 2008 1 views 32 Comments

Too many topics to ramble about. From the new bylaws on electronic information and transaction to “Ayat-Ayat Cinta” movie (Love Verses) to controversies around the Wilders’ movie, Fitna. But too lazy, too tired, too many other things to do… there are some things I need to do, but mostly things I want to do … That’s my problem, always want to do many things…. I want…I want…I want.

Meanwhile, a friend requested me some Indonesian songs. One of them is “Aku Ingin” (I want) which is based on Sapardi Djoko Damono’s poem with the same title. I got obsessed with it. Beautiful melody, wonderful lyrics. This simple song really brought me to tears.

Aku ingin mencintaimu dengan sederhana
dengan kata yang tak sempat diucapkan
kayu kepada api yang menjadikannya abu

Aku ingin mencintaimu dengan sederhana
dengan isyarat yang tak sempat disampaikan
awan kepada hujan yang menjadikannya tiada

my free translation:
I want to love you in a simple way
in words never spoken,
by timber to the flame, who turns it to embers.

I want to love you in a simple way
in gestures never passed
by a cloud to the rain, who alters it to the naught.

I spent my after midnight hours playing and recording

. Nothing fancy. The arrangement is simple. Every track was taken only once. All mistakes are still there as no errors were corrected.

32 Comments »

• colson said:

Dit is echt prachtig. Daar hoef je niet bescheiden over te doen. Een hele mooie melodie en een geweldige stem. Ontroerend zelfs.Ga ik aan mijn kleindochter laten horen (en de rest van de familie).

Let’s hope you do a lot more of this kind of musical stuff. Only it’s unfair:one person, so many talents.

mer: dank u wel! i hope your granddaughter didn’t cry listening to it. if she did, i’d stop making music! about talents, ah, Colson, they could turn enemies….

• nemo said:

Will be interesting to ask Mr.Sapardi Damono what true and genuine love means. His poem seems related to the 'simple and perhaps quick flame', and too virtual (= He wants …. :-) Perhaps true love need inspiration and perspiration, loyalty, growth, action, long-term care for others.

mer: i see it differently. it's not quick flame type of love at all. through this poem, i can see the wish for the purest, very generous love, which appears so simple and immaterialistic, yet is laid on very strong and deep bond, where one cannot exist without the other…

• nemo said:

We love your song & your music composition
    (after I turn on the speaker :-)

mer: thanks. glad you loved it. and thanks for turning on the speaker too :D

• Andie Summerkiss said:

Errors? What errors?

That is such a beautiful song, Mer. Full of passion and love, I can hear right through the melody.

You played all the instruments yourself? That’s amazing.

mer: there were some slightly incorrect rhythm and not-quite-played well tunes… so relieved you found it beautiful. many thanks! *blushed* yes, i did… i am into music, but amateurishly.

• fiksi said:

PSM bangett.. :)

mer: duh, ngga deh. udah ngga psm-an :p

• Tamara said:

I see it in a different way. So many words are spoken between clouds and the rain, so many gestures are passed between wood; timber to the flames. I can see they speak the same language like birds, sky, fish, ocean, people in love. There is always God’s message in the air. Mer, sorry for being different. I’m just expressing my true feelings. Hope you won’t be mad at me. I always come again and again to your blog. I,m already addicted to you :p. I just hope you don’t mind. Still, it’s a beautiful song and poem.

mer: of course i am not mad at you :) how could i be? thanks for expressing your opinion. I totally agree with you. Just because we cannot ‘technically’ hear it, it doesn’t mean they don’t speak. Just because we cannot ‘physically’ see it, it doesn’t mean they don’t communicate. I’m flattered knowing about your addiction…. hehehe…

• treespotter said:

i like Sapardi and i think he’s one of the better contemporary Indonesian lit – well, at least of those few that i actually read anyway.

i read this one before, but somehow – with all due respect to him and no intention of suggesting otherwise – this one reminds me too much of a very similar Pablo Neruda line (don’t have it with me, but i can drop you a copy later, or just google it, it’s part of the 100 love sonnet).

mer: thanks for mentioning this! i think i knew which one — Robin Williams cited it in Patch Adam :p — and I copy it here, just for my archive….

I don’t love you as if you were the salt-rose, topaz
    or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:
    I love you as certain dark things are loved,
    secretly, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that doesn’t bloom and carries
    hidden within itself the light of those flowers,
    and thanks to your love, darkly in my body
    lives the dense fragrance that rises from the earth.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
    I love you simply, without problems or pride:
    I love you in this way because I don’t know any other way of loving
    but this, in which there is no I or you,
    so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand,
    so intimate that when I fall asleep it is your eyes that close.

• Retty said:

he..he..he…sama ya…jadi orang yang terlalu banyak maunya! Untungnya sebagian keinginan kamu sudah kesampaian (eh…sebagian yang lainnya bagian aku kali ya…cuma lihat rumput tetangga melulu…lupa lihat rumput sendiri!)

mer: haha…. masih untung masih banyak maunya… ketimbang udah ngga ada maunya :) ya kan?

• t said:

beautiful song, and great composition….
    thank……

mer: mr T, you’re welcome…. :)

• santi d said:

Oooh it touches my heart ….did you compose and record it in the middle of the night?

mer: ooooh….. — right…. slightly after midnight…. does it make any influence to the song’s sentiment?

• y'ayie said:

Love your voice always. If I were a man, I would ….
    If I weren’t married, I would …
    If I were not a servant, I would …
    Kekekekek!

mer: hahaha……. akupun…….padamu!

• Mulia said:

hahaha..sama sama.i want to finish my thesis and lab work ASAP. I want to do my laundry, clean my room and prepare for my birthday party. i want i want i want..mana yang dikerjain duluanan? Visit Mer’s blog. hahaha…nice to know u Mer!

mer: thanks for putting me above the laundry… hahaha… nice to know you, too.

• FIKi said:

Mba’ Mer…
    I agree with Colson…it’s so unfair, one person with so many talents…hohohoho :D
    anyway…did you compose it by yourself? I envy you :p

Lagu ini yang mau dinyanyiin agustus besok mbak? hihihihih…beneran klo undangannya dah jadi, dikirimin lewat email deh :D

mer: lagunya terserah Fiki aja… hehe. tapi serius, agustus awal sampai pertengahan aku di indonesia. about the song, ah.. just sharing, and well, it was just me having fun with my guitar and my violin.

• Chrysogonus said:

Thanks for the song, ma’am…. I really enjoy it!

mer: thanks to you too! glad you enjoy it :)

• nemo said:

Agustus 08-08-08……………?
    wah selamat selamat selamat………………….

kami ingin mencintaimu dengan sederhana
    dengan tulus hati

mer: i think your selamat should be addressed to Fiki — the commentator above :D

• rima fauzi said:

wow. seriously, wow. …………. sampe no comment gini saking bagusnya.. I am always thinking of new and modern ways/sound to infuse my music with, while you here just did everything with simplicity and the result is so beautiful. i am normally not into songs like this, but it sounds like something in the era of jodi mitchell, john lennon etc.. you sure are a lucky woman, brains, articulate writing, and musical talent, is there anything you can't do? :)

mer: ooh, Rima…. you are too generous. are you into making music, too? wow…. i, too, am more into old time music — beatles, of course… and those classic jazz (standard). btw, believe me, there're many things i never do and cannot do :)

• rimafauzi said:

yes mer, i'm into music too. i am actually a singer by profession but my music career has not yet launched. but i do have several demos in myspace. you can get the links in my blog.. i love old music too. i am not into new music. i only listen to music as new as the early 90s with some exceptions of jazz, blues and folk singers/groups that are still producing good music up to now.

mer: hey Rima, as I mentioned in your blog, I checked the demo out and like it! great singer! i basically listen to all good music, good according to me, hehe. and yes, apparently old music is more appealing for me. my harddisk is full of old music, more than 6,000 songs.. !!

• peregrin said:

Udah lama banget nyari2 puisi sapardi yg dimusikalisasi. Eh malah ketemu versi mbak mer :) Boleh tak-embat ke blogku ngga? (pasti taksebut penyanyi aslinya :) penyanyi dangdut dari ASU kan? :) ). Soalnya puisi yg ini favoritku juga. Thanks lho kalo boleh :)

mer: wah….. jadi malu…. ya boleh deh :)   asal jangan dijual aja….. hehe.

• puppett said:

i liked ur song

mer: thanks.

• peregrin said:

wah malah ngasih ide nih :D hehhehehe …. mmmm, ntar jangan kaget ya kalo ke glodok….. hehehehhe thanks lho mbak mer … aku udah muter itu lagunya bolak-balik dr kemarin … keknya makin lama makin merdu dan menyentuh rasanya … *flirting mode on…. ehehehhehhe :D … beneran kok :)

mer: waduh… ada yang pake merayu2 nih…. hehehe….

• peregrin said:

hm… ngga jadi ngembat, ngga bisa ngembedded di blogspot :( … nge-link aja jadinya :)

yuk, bikinin recordingnya puisi2 sapardi yg lain dooong ;) … request, ini request penggemar setia lho … si telaga dooong…. :)

• peregrin said:

hm… ngga jadi ngembat, ngga bisa ngembed di blogspot :P … nge-link aja jadinya :) yuk mbak Mer, bikinin recordingnya puisi2 sapardi yg lain dooong ;) … request, ini request penggemar setia lho … si telaga dooong…. :)

mer: hahaha…… koq jadi malah bisnis rekaman nih…..

• geekgirl said:

wah teh mer keren bikin lagu pakai harmoni yg meliuk2 gitu.. ketukan 6/8 gaya oldies gitu.. asiik.. huhu mau dong pengen bisa violin juga =D ada gak kumpulan lagu2 bikinan teh mer?

mer: wah, jadi malu gini… mau pesen? hahaha….

• kakahelmy said:

Sapardi Djoko Damono, emang sastrawan luar biasa. Dan dari dia saya paling suka sama dua paragraf ini, hhehe.. Makasih ya

• IyaNoPej! » Blog Archive » Aku ingin said:

[...] terjemahan englishnya didapat dari sini [...]

• gadisbintang said:

bagus, mbak. :)
    walo mirip ama versi duaibu dan arireda, tetep kukasih jempol.. ;)

• Pete Muska said:

check this out man…

• dieta dukan said:

�Alguien sabe de que va eso? Eso no quita de que tu web sea un informativa para mi.

• dietas said:

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have read this put up and if I may just I desire to recommend you some interesting things or advice. Maybe you can write subsequent articles relating to this article. I want to read even more things approximately it!

[Reply]

• cortisona efectos secundarios, efectos secundarios cortisona, pulsar aqui, cortisona, efectos secundarios said:

Excellent blog right here! Additionally your website rather a lot up very fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

• Sakura said:

permisi…

ijin quote versi bhs inggris-nya di blog-ku ya, mbak
    and yes, of course i put your name as the translator ^__^
    feel free to contact me kalo pengen liat

[Reply]

• fille insatiable bukkake said:

Bon je n’ai pas eu le temps de finir de lire toutefois je passe
    dans la soirée

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: